Dates: July 31 - August 4, 2023
Florida Gulf Coast University’s Innovative Education & Partnerships Office is pleased to announce it will again offer the “Turfgrass Management” certificate program in 2023.
The program will cover turf grass principles and establishment, turf soils, irrigation, turf grass weeds, diseases and insects, turfgrass cultivation and fertility, and pesticide and fertilizer applications.
In addition to 24 hours of instruction, there is also 12 hours of laboratory work on-site at several area courses in southwest Florida.
At the end of the program, participants—if they choose—can sit for the examination to qualify for the Florida Pesticide Application license.
Participation in this program may result in the award of academic credit for a horticulture course offered through FGCU. Registrants interested in pursuing college credit for completion of this program will receive details at the conclusion of the program.
Topics & Descriptions:
1. Introduction to Turfgrass
- Role of turf in society and the environment. Principles underlying establishment and maintenance of turf on athletic fields, parks, home lawns, and golf courses. Aesthetic, safety, and economic aspects of turfgrass management practices.
2. Introduction to Soil Science
- Soil and its impact on plant growth, plant and water relations, drainage, nutrients, soil as a resource, and erosion control techniques.
3. Turfgrass Cultivation Techniques
- Techniques and principles of cultivation of turfgrass surfaces and root zones. Organic Matter Management in sand based root zones.
4. Turfgrass Fertility
- Soil-plant relationships, soil acidity and alkalinity, macro- and micro-nutrients, fertilizer materials, soil fertility, evaluations, and fertilizer programming.
5. Principles of Irrigation
- Turfgrass irrigation systems, installation and maintenance including water management.
6. Turfgrass Weeds
- Cultural, mechanical, biological, and chemical weed management principles and practices. Environmental considerations.
7. Turfgrass Diseases
- Plant diseases. Biology of pathogens that cause diseases. Disease management, with focus on Florida.
8. Turfgrass Insects
- Identification of common insects; effective and efficient application of pesticides including environmental concerns.
9. Pesticide and Fertilizer Application
- Effective and efficient application of pesticides and fertilizers to turf and ornamentals. Pesticide handling, legal and environmental concerns. Calibration of equipment.
Presenter for the Program:
Dr. John “Trey” Rogers, Professor, Michigan State University, is the primary instructor for this program. For over 30 years, Dr. Rogers has been the Coordinator for the Golf Turf Management program and for the past 8 years the Coordinator of the Sports and Commercial Turf program at Michigan State University. He is the holder of two patents and the author of many articles in professional publications and trade association journals.
He served as the lead scientist for the 1994 World Cup Soccer matches and was a consultant for the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics
national stadium and the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics national stadium.
Dr. Rogers has provided assistance to Major League Soccer stadiums and recently became turf consultant for Keenland Association and Churchill Downs horse racetracks. He has also agreed to perform research and consultations for the FIFA World Cup 2026 tournament coming to North America.
Get details on how to qualify for FREE courses as a Lee County resident
If you are sending 2 or more employees, please give us a call for registration at 239-745-4700 for a multiple employee registration discount.
Add/Drop Policy: Students are eligible for a full refund if communicated within week 1 via email to our office as well as the instructor of record. Students dropped from the course will no longer have access to course materials and are ineligible for any credentials related to the course if/when a refund is provided.
Students are required to complete introductory assignments or acknowledgment of enrollment within 1 week of the course start date. Failure to do so will result in the student being dropped from the course/program without refund.
If a program is canceled, you will be notified by email and phone and issued a full refund within 20 business days. Individuals who cancel after the start of a program will not receive a refund. No refunds will be granted after a student accesses the online course materials or 30 days after registration, whichever comes first.